Raygun & Pagerduty

resarf

Posted on
Mar 02 2022

Since the integration only triggers on 100 new errors rather than 100 errors. But I can send an email on 100 errors as an alert. PagerDuty supports a trigger from email so I wish to add my pager duty email to the raygun alert. However I cant do this as the only way to alert email is to a team member and the only way to add a team member is to invite them and I cant invite my PagerDuty inbound email which looks like this (NOT REAL) A019Z2DOJ4K123123123WCD9M0J5TA78@programmed.pagerduty.com. How can I add an email like this to my alerts

MattByers

Raygun

Posted on
Mar 14 2022

Hi resarf,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this one. Just wanted to post an update and let you know we've recently released Webhook support for Alerting. This means triggered alerts notifications can now be sent to any URL as JSON formatted data. PagerDuty looks like they support POSTing JSON data to their Events v2 API and allow the transformation of that data into an expected format via their Custom Change Event Transformer. This might be a good option to achieve your desired result.

Kind regards, Matt

resarf

Posted on
Mar 15 2022

Not sure its that simple, as their API requires auth etc. They dont just have a webhook destination.

It would be much easier if you supported a generic email in notifications

or even better

Allow the PagerDuty to trigger after X errors rather than X new errors.

John-Daniel Trask

Raygun

Posted on
Mar 15 2022

I'll leave Matt to respond to the main request, but as a note:

It would be much easier if you supported a generic email in notifications

This is something we're discussing. Biggest issue is abuse (you'd be amazed, we even get spammers automating our 'invite a team member' just to inject a message as the name of the user being invited...).

So being mindful of how we open up the system to allow arbitrary emails, BUT, don't end up getting ourselves blacklisted everywhere for spam (which of course also costs us money to send).

Implementing a basic 'any email address would be fine' is relatively easy, ensuring that it works for everyone, but not abusers, is where there is some complexity :-) It's not a 'no', just wanted to provide some context on our internal discussions about this :-)

I hope that helps, and I'll leave you with Matt about the overall improvements we can make with PagerDuty.

John-Daniel Trask

MattByers

Raygun

Posted on
Mar 16 2022

Hi Resarf,

Thanks for the feedback. I did some further digging and testing and it looks like you're correct. PagerDuty do allow sending custom events via a webhook endpoint, but unfortunately it appears this only supports emitting change events rather than full trigger events. My only other suggestion at this point would be to receive the webhooks to an endpoint on your end and send them to PagerDuty or use an integration platform like Zapier. Appreciate your suggestions for how we can improve this, I'll get these raised with our product team.

Thanks,

Matt

resarf

Posted on
Mar 16 2022

Thanks

My current workaround is to setup an exchange rule to forward the email with the alert title to the pagerduty email address.