Get Error Reference Number in .NET

taylorackley

Posted on
May 30 2019

In the Raygun Web interface, I can see a error reference number on the detail tab.

Is it possible to get this reference number somehow when sending the error? I know its somewhat tough since it sends in the background async. I do see a "BuildMessage" method that returns a RaygunMessage model, but can't find the documentation for it.

Thanks!

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
May 30 2019

Hi Taylor,

The error reference number found in the error details tab is a number we assign once we receive an error report. We make this number available for customers who wish to share a particular report instance rather than the error group itself. This number is not available (or decided upon) until we receive the report.

Was there a use case you were hoping to use this identifier for?

Regards, Mitchell.

taylorackley

Posted on
May 30 2019

Hi Mitchell - That makes sense since the error sends in the background.

Historically we logged errors to the db and when we thought the error was going to affect the user, we display an error page with a contact form. We get the id of the error back from the database and fill it into the form as a reference number. That way when the support form is submitted the support team can relay the error number to the relevant parties.

My workaround was going to be to generate a hash of the error or a random identifier and send it as custom data.

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
May 30 2019

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for the explanation. Yes, in this situation adding your own identifier to the custom data of a Raygun report would be the right solution. You could also add it as a tag on the report, which would allow you to search for the report using our top level filters on the crash reporting page. You can find out more about our filtering here: https://raygun.com/documentation/product-guides/crash-reporting/filtering-error-groups/

Regards, Mitchell