Some Android Crash Report Stack details are still obfuscated even after uploading mapping file

pajus83

Posted on
Sep 06 2017

I renamed mapping.txt to versionName.txt, and uploaded to Proguard Center, but some crash report details are still obfuscated even after I run "Reprocess crash report" several times, and wait for couple of hours. Am I missing something?

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Sep 07 2017

Hi pajus83,

Our apologies, this is being caused by a bug in our Proguard retracing tool. We'll look at getting this fixed up for you.

-Jason Fauchelle

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Sep 07 2017

Hi paju83,

We have resolved the bug preventing your stacktraces from being retraced. You can reprocess your existing crash reports to see the result, and any new crash reports that you send in will be retraced correctly as long as the matching mapping file is present.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

-Jason Fauchelle

pajus83

Posted on
Sep 07 2017

Hi Jason,

It works now.

Thanks,

Pavle Kuzevski

pajus83

Posted on
Feb 23 2018

Hi,

I'm experiencing this issue once again.

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Feb 23 2018

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue again. First, please double check that the correct mapping file is uploaded. On an exception report that you're seeing obfuscated results, check what version number of the application is mentioned in the exception report. Then, navigate to the "ProGuard Mapping Center" which can be found in the left-hand side bar after clicking Application settings. If the application version is not listed, then that will be the problem, as that's how we are selecting which mapping file to use. Even if the version number is there, it's possible to upload the wrong mapping file against it. If you know you have the correct mapping file on hand, you could delete the mapping file for the problematic version and re-upload it. If you take any of these actions, you can then click the "Reprocess crash report" button when viewing the obfuscated exception reports.

If the problem persists, please use the "Contact Raygun" option at the bottom of the left hand side bar to send us a link to an exception you're seeing with obfuscated results - if you don't mind us taking a look to investigate this deeper.

-Jason Fauchelle

pajus83

Posted on
Feb 23 2018

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply. I checked the mapping and it looks fine.

The good news is, stack trace is not obfuscated after reprocessing. However, what got me confused and led me to believe that this issue re-appeared, is that some of the crash reports Message part contains obfuscated code even after reprocessing . It is still possible that something is wrong with the mapping file in this case, but I think Message should be also updated after crash report reprocessing, if that is not the case already.

Thanks,

Pavle

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Feb 26 2018

Hi Pavle,

Good to hear stack traces are being processed correctly. We don't do any processing to the message currently. I've added this to the backlog as something to look into.

-Jason Fauchelle