tags and userCustomData are not making it over the wire

steve

Posted on
May 13 2014

I am evaluating the Asp.NET interface. When I call the rayGunClient.Send() method with just an exception that is making it over the wire fine..I can see the exception(s) in the dashboard.

However when I send over tags and/or customData dictionary information, I do not see any of that information. For instance the following error entry also had tag data sent over with the exception rgClientSend(Exception, new[] {"SteveTag", "steveTag2"}); but on the page it says Tags None provided

https://app.raygun.io/dashboard/7f0whd/errors/448600149

Am I missing something perhaps? If this is a restriction on evaluation subscriptions I will need this functionality turned on as it is very important that I am able to evaluate this functionality.

thanks,

steve

Callum

Posted on
May 13 2014

There is no restriction for tags/customdata functionality for trial customers so if they are available in the payload they will appear. I've tried out the functionality with the fixed string array syntax and it appears to be working fine here - the tags are received correctly from the following code:

protected void Application_Error()
{
  var exception = Server.GetLastError();
  var rg = new RaygunClient();

rg.Send(exception, new[] {"Tag1", "Tag2"});
}

As you will note in the Raw tab of your exceptions no tags or custom data were provided in the payload. You might like to try manually catching an exception and sending that to ensure the Send call to the RaygunClient is in fact passing the tags array through, and not being picked up automatically by the HttpModule.

steve

Posted on
May 14 2014

Turns out the tags were being sent over fine but I was sending over some 'garbage' in the dictionary. I do now see that there was an error somewhere in the raygun code preventing the dictionary data from being processed:

"Error Logging Exception to Raygun.io Method may only be called on a Type for which Type.IsGenericParameter is true."

I am able to send over custom data over fine now.