Version filter not working

gauche

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

Hi,

I have a version filter on my app's crash reporting inbound filters: Versions <= 384 / 1.4.6.384

I was therefore surprised to receive crash reports today for version 332 (1.4.3.332).

What is causing this?

Thanks Kent

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

Hi Kent,

Versions must be numerical and in the format of major.minor.patch unless doing an Equal to or Not equal to comparison.

At the moment your version filter will not be working as what you have specified cannot be parsed into this format.

Regards, Jeremy.

gauche

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

Thanks for the prompt reply Jeremy.

Is there any reason not to support major.minor.patch.build format? Also, where does Raygun pick up this version from?

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

We support major.minor.patch.build sorry. The text needs to be in that format e.g. 1.0.0.31110

gauche

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

Are you talking about the text specified in the filter rule? If so, I was just using the auto-completion functionality to fill it in.

I've just added a second filter with text 1.4.6.384, but had to explicitly not use the auto-completion because it resolves to 384 / 1.4.6.384.

Is this a bug with auto-completion then?

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

In order to use a greater/less than operator, both sides of the equation need to be in that format. If you are using the equal or not equal then the format does not matter. So both the version in the filter and the version in the error payloads need to be in this format.

This restriction is because the filtering code is using the .NET version classes for parsing and comparison for greater/less than operators.

gauche

Posted on
Jan 30 2017

I've checked the raw data for several crash reports. iOS reports a version one way and Android another, but in both cases I am just using the Raygun client.

What am I to do?

gauche

Posted on
Feb 01 2017

Hello? Some help please?

I've set up every filter I can think of:

• Versions <= 384 / 1.4.6.384
  • Versions <= 1.4.6.384
  • Versions <= 384

But I'm still receiving crash reports for old versions.

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Feb 02 2017

Hi Kent,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been discussing with the team a good solution to this problem. The issue will be in the error payloads coming from your app, that if they have a two part version number (384 / 1.4.6.384). These will never get filtered out as it cannot be parsed with our current code.

We've decided we will put in some custom handling for this two part build / version numbering (as it is coming from our provider code so we should support it).

Looking at the filters you have set up to date, the first one "384 / 1.4.6.384" will never work as again you can only specify one part. This is bad UX on our part so we will be providing more help for when you select a greater/less than operator. We will validate the input to ensure it can be parsed.

The second two filters will work, but only if the error payload has a version number with a single part. If the payload version number is like "384 / 1.4.6.384", then no greater/less than filter will be able to match this currently (we're going to fix this too).

We'll be looking into this fix today and will update again when the changes are live.

gauche

Posted on
Feb 07 2017

Hi Jeremy,

Any update on this?

Thanks

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Feb 07 2017

Hi Kent,

We are currently implementing a solution to the issue and will have it released tomorrow. The solution involves updating the Version filters to include an option to specify if you are targeting a build number (e.g. "123") or a version number (e.g. "1.2.3"). Once the solution is released you will be able to recreate your filters to target the correct values. Thank you for your patience.

Regards, Mitchell.

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Feb 07 2017

Hi Kent,

We're still working on the fixes. They shouldn't be far off now but we will update you again when we've deployed the changes.

Thanks.

Deleted User

Raygun

Posted on
Feb 08 2017

Hi Kent,

We have just released an update to our version inbound filter to allow you target specifically build numbers or version numbers. When creating a new inbound filter by version you can select either "Version" or "Build number" to indicate how version numbers in your error payloads will be treated. In your case you can create one filter to use "Version" and compare by less than or equals "1.4.6.384" and another filter to use "Build number" and compare by less than or equal to 384. Any version filters created earlier will default to targeting "Version". Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers, Mitchell.

gauche

Posted on
Feb 08 2017

Yay! I've set these up and crossed my fingers.

Thanks for following up, Mitchell.