Windows 10 UWP - Line numbers not included in stack trace

chris-pilcher

Posted on
May 19 2016

I'm trying to track errors in my Windows 10 UWP app. Line numbers are not coming through when exceptions are thrown.

Screenshots:

I've followed the instructions for setup on the docs page. I've tried both debug/release mode. Do you know how I can get line numbers in the Raygun stack trace?

Details:

Daniel

Posted on
May 23 2016

Hey Chris,

Thanks heaps for providing a sample repository - helped confirm that the issue matched the one I've created too.

In short, Microsoft don't yet provide a way to decode native stacktraces like the ones you've provided to a useful output. It appears to be a common issue from my research on the issue.

We have identified a possible solution, but we need a bit more time to explore the feasibility of it.

Hopefully this explains why you're not seeing line numbers - sorry I don't a better answer! I'll make sure to keep you updated as we progress with finding a way to support native .NET apps though

Cheers, Daniel

Lars Ryssel

Posted on
Jun 10 2016

Hi

We are having the same problem. I really hope you will find a way to make it work. :-)

/Lars

Matt Monahan

Posted on
Oct 18 2017

Is there any progress on this? Im using the same library and having the same problem. :)

-Matt M

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Oct 18 2017

Hi Matt,

We never did find a way to include line numbers of UWP apps in the stack trace. I've read that you can publish the application with full pdb symbols, but have not tried this with Raygun. Without pdb symbols, developers usually resort to riddling code with attributes or log statements that capture line numbers, which I think would be more work than it's worth. Line numbers do make things easier, though I hope it's not a show stopper - as long as the class and method name are provided along with the exception type and message, it's still possible to find where the issue is.

Apologies for not having a solution to this.

-Jason Fauchelle