Resolve in version: Confusing message

cb

Posted on
Nov 19 2015

I'm over-analysing this, but the message is confusing when I select Resolve in Version.

"In what version was the error resolved?" - Ok fine, say, version 2.0 (i.e. v1.9 had the bug).

"Indicate the version where the error has been resolved." - Ok fine. Same as above.

"Any occurrences received for that version or below will not cause this error to be reactivated" - Wait! I want to know if the error still happens in v2.0 because that would mean that I've actually failed to fix it.

"Please discard any future occurrences which are not from newer versions" - Now I'm really confused. Is this just saying the same thing as above, or something else? What's the difference if I do or don't?

So now I'm not sure whether "Resolve in version" is for what I think it's for, and just select Ignore instead.

I basically no longer want to see alerts from known v1.9 errors that I have supposedly fixed in v2.0. If the error does still occur in v2.0 then I do want to know about it.

It's also confusing in the docs: https://raygun.io/docs/workflow

"For example: Version 1.0.0.0 of your software is generating a NullPointerException. You fix this error and plan to release the fix in version 1.0.0.1. You mark the error as Resolved in Version 1.0.0.0, and no longer receive new notifications for that error. You then release 1.0.0.1, but the error wasn't resolved and keeps happening. This will cause you to receive a notification that the error had re-occurred, and the error will be set back to Active."

Here you say that v1.0.0.0 has the error, and plan to fix it in v1.0.0.1; but you then immediately say that you mark it as resolved in v1.0.0.0. This is contradictory - you resolved it in v1.0.0.1 not 1.0.0.0.

Jamie Penney

Posted on
Nov 27 2015

Hi Chris,

You're right, that's really confusing. The Docs link is correct according to how the code works, but it all needs a tidy up.

Basically, if you put 1.0.0.0 in the box, then we will only reactivate the error if we see one for version 1.0.0.1 or above. The "please discard any future occurrences" bit is just saying "don't record any errors from version 1.0.0.0 or less". Basically if you've resolved the error and don't care about it unless it re-occurs, tick that box.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

cb

Posted on
Nov 27 2015

Ok, so the behaviour matches the documentation - but it still seems odd to me.

Scenario:

• The current version has a bug. Customers are complaining and error reports are being generated.
  • I release v1.0.0.0 which includes the bug fix and tell the customers to upgrade.
  • I want to tidy up my error logs so select "Resolve in version" and enter "1.0.0.0" (because that's the version it's resolved in!).
  • Customers are still complaining about the bug. They confirm that they have upgraded but I don't see any error reports.

Are you saying that I should have entered "0.9.9.9" in "Resolve in version"?

travis

Posted on
May 18 2017

I agree. "Resolve in version" should be called "Resolved after version" or "Last version affected by this"

Krishna

Raygun

Posted on
Nov 14 2018

Hi,

We have changed all occurrences of "Resolve in Version" to "Resolve after Version".

Thank you for the suggestion.

Krishna