How can I include the organisation name and PC domain name?

Brendan

Posted on
Aug 27 2015

We have ~100 clients with our software installed locally on their networks.

We want to include the following pieces of info in our error reports:

1) Client's organisation name (we source this from our database)

2) PC's Domain name (determined from local environment.

The error report already includes the PC name but not the Domain name. How can this be included?

We could include the organisation name in a few places, but ideally we would like it to appear under the "Environment" section of the report (with PC name and domain name). Can I include it here?

Brendan

Posted on
Aug 27 2015

BTW I should have added, clearly we can add this to CustomData, but this is not as accessible or searchable as the fields on the main tab so this is not ideal.

Alternatively we could add a tag for each organisation, but I'm interested to hear any better suggestions.

John-Daniel Trask

Raygun

Posted on
Aug 27 2015

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for posting. There's two options here as you noted:

1. Tag. Tags are great if you need to filter the dashboard (which could be very useful for the organisation).
  2. Custom Data. Custom Data is great for structured data (which is why it's not searchable, it could be a small object graph for example).

It sounds to me like tagging would be the best bet for you. You may even choose to prefix if you want to use tags for semi-structure (e.g. org-whateverorgnameyouwant, dom-whateverdomainnameyouwant).

You can choose what data you want to show on the 'summary' tab by clicking on the grayed out 'stars' on the tabs. A starred field replicates that data on the summary tab (if you click a gold star on the summary tab, it drops off the summary). So you could still star the custom data to be on the summary tab if you so wished.

I hope that helps!

John-Daniel Trask

Brendan

Posted on
Sep 03 2015

Thanks John. We'll go with the tags for both the domain name and organisation name.