Can't understand where the error fires up in code

Bule

Posted on
Aug 13 2015

Hi All, sometimes I received some error notifications by RayGun (for a Xamarin Android app) but in the stack trace I haven't any informations about where the error fires up. This is an example, I can unserstand the type of error but I can't see where it is located

Message: [FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.]
 at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x00028>
 at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>m__0 (object) <0x0003f>
 at Android.App.SyncContext/<Post>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 () <0x00027>
 at Java.Lang.Thread/RunnableImplementor.Run () <0x0003f>
 at Java.Lang.IRunnableInvoker.n_Run (intptr,intptr) <0x0003b>

at (wrapper dynamic-method) object.08147ffc-a3e3-4e60-91aa-7c3121d6abe0 (intptr,intptr) <0x0003b>

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Aug 18 2015

Hi Bule,

I have not been able to reproduce this kind of stack trace. Is there more information that you can provide around how to cause this type of scenario at our end? Once we're able to reproduce this, I'll look into this further and see if there's anything that can be done about improving the stack trace.

-Jason Fauchelle

Bule

Posted on
Sep 01 2015

Hi Jason, thanks for your answer and sorry for my late in response. I can't reproduce the scenario, sometimes it happens that an error fires but I can't see where it happens. Could be that the error fires inside a dll imported inside a project ? and raygun can't go deep in code ?

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Sep 01 2015

Hi Bule,

Raygun is able to include stack trace lines from imported managed C# dlls. There is a potential issue where the Raygun provider may not be parsing the full stack trace correctly and might be missing some lines. The stack trace you posted doesn't show any hint of this compared to other incorrect stack traces I've seen, but best not to rule it out. I'll be fixing the stack trace parsing issue for the next release and will get back to you when this is available. It will still be about a month before it is. Hopefully this will help solve the issue, but if not, I'm afraid I won't be much help unless I find a way to reproduce the issue. Let me know if you do manage to track it down a little further.

-Jason Fauchelle

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Sep 10 2015

Hi Bule,

I've recently researched into this further and it looks like there is a bug in Xamarin.Android around providing a full stack trace - specifically for async methods. Seems this is planned to be solved in the next stable release of Xamarin.Android, and as such, I will look into this again when possible.

-Jason Fauchelle

Bule

Posted on
Sep 10 2015

Jason, thanks for your interest.

Schalk

Posted on
Sep 11 2015

I'm encountering the same issue. Great to hear that it is a known issue of Xamarin Android and is being looked into.

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Nov 25 2015

Hi Beau and Schalk,

We've just released a new version of Raygun4Net (v5.2.0) which has been updated to the latest version of Xamarin.Android. I'm seeing that stacktraces involving async methods are showing more lines now.

-Jason Fauchelle

Bule

Posted on
Nov 25 2015

Hi Jason, this is a wonderful news. Im going to update to latest version as soon as possible, and I'll let you know.

Ps now in xamarin components store I can see the 5.1.1as latest release.

Jason Fauchelle

Raygun

Posted on
Dec 03 2015

Hi Bule,

Version 5.2 of the Xamarin Component has now been approved and so is available in the store.

-Jason Fauchelle

Bule

Posted on
Dec 04 2015

Thanks Jason, just downloaded the new version. I'll let you know what happens ..

thanks again