Raygun 413 Request Entity Too Large

Alec

Posted on
Jul 28 2015

Seems that you have some sort of limit on message sizes. One of our really old pages has a big viewstate (about 200k) and that pushed over some limit you have because the the site returned a 413 error.

However, there are a few problems related to this.

1) The .Send method even in the latest 5.1 doesn't return any error back so the ASP.Net app thinks it logged just fine. We missed a production error in testing due to that and had to fix it Saturday night. Ouch. 2) I had to figure this out via attaching .WebProxy to 127.0.0.1,8888 for Fiddler to see what was going on when repeating an issue on a dev machine. There should be an easier way to debug or see response code errors from the API especially given you manage the SDK too as a NuGet patckage. 3) What is this limit and can it be overridden or the message truncated rather than not logging at all? I'd rather you drop all the form fields if those are too big than giving me no error data or notification.

I can send the exact request captured in Fiddler via e-mail. Just didn't want to post it on the forum. Just ask if you need it. The big part is a split viewstate into many vars ex) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10413986/viewstate-chunking-in-asp-net

Thanks!

John-Daniel Trask

Raygun

Posted on
Jul 29 2015

Hi Alec,

The overall message size (not just custom data) is capped at 100KB. That's fairly large (about 25GB of data every month being processed on a medium plan). You can filter messages being they are sent and trim the ViewData block.

We can do much larger messages but would need to discuss a custom plan due to storage & processing costs involved.

Agree that we should update the providers to warn on this however - thanks for the feedback!

John-Daniel Trask