UI request: collapsing the sidebar

curious

Posted on
Oct 04 2021

Viewing the Raygun dashboard on iPad 11" is not optimal. The side panel takes a reasonably large portion of the screen, causing < and > buttons for changing tabs in Crash Reporting view.

Those tab scrolling buttons aren't necessary if the sidebar would be collapsible, as many (most?) current sidebars are.

Have screen shot (on request - akauppi). Did not update because the iCloud and Google Drive links I tried didn't work..

John-Daniel Trask

Raygun

Posted on
Oct 04 2021

Hi,

I'll take a look into this (I have an iPad Pro, 11" from a couple of years back, which I assume probably has the same screen size in terms of pixels).

Making the side bar collapsible will take some effort, but I'll take a peek on my iPad, and discuss with the team if we have some nearer term wins we could roll out to make it better for you.

Thanks for letting us know. Surprised I only realize now I haven't used Raygun from my iPad, only my PC!

John-Daniel Trask

Guy Sartorelli

Posted on
Dec 02 2021

It looks like making the left menu collapsible would be really simple - just reducing the width on .layout__sidebar and simultaneously reducing the padding-left on the body. The icons are already nice and small, and having the sidebar at about 65px looks great. You'd probably want to either vertically collapse the section or have a way to easily identify each sub-item (e.g. "Settings", "Inbound filters", etc under "Crash Reporting") but the markup is nice and clean for the overall layout so I would expect it to be a quick win.