Running your application on an outdated version means you won’t be getting all the benefits of the very best grouping logic Raygun has to offer – including the many edge cases we have added from billions of data points collected since the last version release.
What’s new in the version 7 hasher?
The new version represents a significant departure from the historic way that we processed error groups. Raygun runs on some of the biggest web properties online, so we engaged with those customers to use their crash data as a massive test corpus. Their openness has led to these significant improvements.
The new model includes such benefits as:
- More than 50 hand coded rules for specific error types
- Improved de-localization of errors from IE (which likes to localize messages into the users PC language)
- Improved handling of errors from some modern JS frameworks
- Improved generic case for errors that have random numbers & strings in them as tokens
- Extensible model to make upgrades in future and be able to seamlessly apply them to customers
Changing a hasher for an application changes how errors are grouped and can result in existing errors being raised as new errors. For this reason, Raygun requires you to update to the latest hasher manually. To change the classification strategy, it only takes a few moments.
Note: Before you update your version, please be aware that you may see some duplicate errors groups in your Raygun dashboard. If you do, simply merge them as usual, or drag and drop them into the “Ignore” tab. Alternatively, do do this in bulk, go to the Settings under “Crash Reporting” in the side bar, and choose to mark all errors as Ignored.
1. Head to your Raygun Crash Reporting settings
2. Opt to change the version
3. Change your classification strategy
You will see the warning in the top bar. Select the version drop-down menu and select version number seven:
4. Change Strategy
To confirm your version choice, type the word CHANGE and select “Change Strategy.”
Raygun’s dashboard helps you organize your errors into a digestible format. Here’s how.
Raygun’s best features are available “out the box” – are you making the most of your account?